Friday, March 23, 2018

This Argument



I have seen several FB posts like this in the last two days.  One other response I've seen is, “Give me one reason why I don’t need one.”  Ok, fair enough.  I suppose it is none of my business what you legally own.  I also suppose it would be unreasonable for me to decide what you need or do not need.  I can only speak for myself.  Let me tell you why I don’t need an AR-15 or a handgun or any other weapon for that matter.

I don’t fear death.
I don’t need power.
I don’t have enemies. 
I don’t want superiority.
I don’t need to impress anyone.
I don’t have anything to prove.
I don’t worry about being robbed.
I don’t hunt, and I don’t judge hunters.
I don’t need tools to increase my confidence.
I don’t fear the police or the U.S. government. 
I don’t waste my money on things I don’t need.
I don’t have any desire to kill anything or anyone.
I don’t need to protect my things because my things are replaceable.
I don’t flaunt my things to the point that would lead someone invade my home.
I don’t exaggerate the probability of being attacked.  It’s a one in 20,000 chance and I don’t have that many days left to live.  I'm not worth attacking anyway.
I don’t think it is my place to defend the U.S. against a foreign invader.  We have the best fighting force in the world.  If invaders make it to my house they’ve lost the war and I'm not better than them.
I don’t see any phrase in the New Testament of the Bible that suggests we should ever bear arms against anyone.  Wisdom is better than weapons of war”  Ecclesiastes 9:18  for all who draw the sword will die by the sword.”  Matthew 26:52

These are my reasons for not needing an AR-15.  So, although it is not any of my business what you own, I have the right to the opinion that you are probably a fool for owning an AR-15.  You probably own it because you fear your government, or you think you will be attacked, or because you waste your money on things you don't need, or you want to impress your friends, or your gun makes you feel stronger, or you like the idea of killing something or someone, or you indeed have enemies.  I am entitled to the opinion that  your gun ownership is probably motivated by fear or weakness or low self esteem or paranoia or even evil.  I'm guessing you are not motivated by self confidence, logic, goodness, or religion.  I'm guessing you own an AR-15 for all the wrong reasons.  Why else would you have enemies?  Why else would you fear attack?  Why else would you need an AR-15?  Why else would you refuse to answer the question?

So, does anyone have the guts to answer the original request?  Give me one good reason you need an AR-15.  So far, I've only seen non-answers.  Seriously, think about it.  Why?

Tony F.
2018

No comments:

Post a Comment